Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Ich liebe kaufen!!!!

For the non-Germans out there. It means: I love shopping!!! Who doesn't? Hmm... I suppose misers don't, anal people don't and erm... what's the word for people who are afraid of germs and dirt? I dunno. Whatever they are, only these minority hate shopping. In general, people love to shop. How did I know that I was a shopaholic? Firstly, I'd like to establish that I'm a minor case. I'm not maxing-out credit cards or eating porridge at the end of every month because I spent all my money on a handbag... yet.

I realized this depressing fact when I was in Hong Kong. I just kept on buying, kept on buying... And it wasn't just stuff for myself. More than 50% we stuff for other people. My bf, my family, my sister... I came to the conclusion that I just happen to love spending money. When I came back to Malaysia. I more or less curbed it a little but still couldn't really stop it. Most of my money were thrown into nice food and pedicures. Sick, eh? People wonder why I spend such an obscene amount of money for a pedicure. Well, it's addictive. So I think it's worth it. Until I hand over the money to the cashier. So I'm basically a guilt ridden shopaholic. I always feel bad after my splurges.

You may think I was born that way. I'd like to blame it on genetics to, since my mother and aunts are also shopaholics, but I'd have to admit that I wasn't always like that. So why can't I stop myself now? I was always careful with money. In scondary school, I get $50 a month while my classmates get $200 or more every month. And when they complain that it's not enough, I'd roll my eyes and scorn them. Now, people roll their eyes at me. So how did I manage back then. I redeem myself? Can this condition be cured. Here are the few things I did back then and some stuff I read somewhere. Maybe it'll help me now to be reminded of them and of course, to those out there who recognise their weakness and want to be rid of it.

1. Carry the bare minimum amount of cash
It used to work. I'd only carry $5 to school everyday. But these days, you never know when you'll need some quick cash. Credit cards are useful, but make sure you remember to only use it for emergencies i.e. petrol, pain killers, tampons or condoms ;) A Gucci sale is not an emergency.

2. Never ever borrow money
I used to never borrow money. No matter how desperate. So if I had no money, I wouldn't buy anything. Once you get it in your mind that you can always get some from a friend and pay her tomorrow, you'll never see the end of it. Trust me. I've been there. Sad to say, I learnt how to borrown money. So I'm kinda doomed. But I've (almost) stopped now. Good thing, eh?

3. Leave your credit cards/atm cards at home
Unless you are sure you never touch those cards and only use cash, you need this one. Only carry cash. That way, you'd control yourself and not let your cash run out when you're out. Credit cards are useful for paying bills. I think everyone should have one. But make sure that: that's all you use it for, you pay the bills on time (to avoid extra charges) and that you keep track of your spending (so that you never forget that the credit card fees you owe need to be deducted from your total amount of income every month).

4. Keep records of your expenditure
This is useful for people with conscience. Those who lack conscience, you can forget it. Why? When you see all the stuff you've bought and the amount of money you've spent, it might shock you enough to cure you. And you'll be able to see what was necessary and what wasn't so that you will not repeat the mistake. Planning how to spend your money every month is also a good way to curb spending. But don't just have it in mind. Put it to paper. I'm gonna do that as soon as I start working. Hehe!

5. Stay away from shops
Only go shopping to get food and necessary stuff. Don't spend your weekends or holidays loitering around malls and shops, especially during sale season.

6. Get an endowment policy (idea courtesy of my aunt)
Whatever it's called. I forget what's it really called. But anyway, it's like a savings account with more benefits. Every month, you pay the insurance company some money, then maybe in 10-20 years time, you'll get a sum of money from it. Then if you want to go wild, go ahead. Hehe! But having to pay the insurance company money means that you have less to spend every month. And the good thing is you'll get back your money someday (unless you die before then, haha!). Just make sure you get a good policy from a reputable agent. Also, make sure you can afford it. No point paying all that money and eating grass every month.

Achtung!! Some people can't go cold turkey. It's like saying that you're not going to have that nice creamy baked potato with bacon and cream and still scoffing it down in the next 5 mins. DO it slowly. I suggest starting with steps 4, 3 & 2. So I've outlined all the solutions that I know. I'll just pick a few and get started. Meanwhile, I'll have one last fling with Orchard Road this weekend before I go cold turkey. Hehe!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're so lucky... u're not working yet and u already get the luxury to spend money without thinking it over at least a thousand times first. bah.