Sunday, July 16, 2006

Mountain Tortoise Back From The City ~ Part 2

The other highlight of this Mountain Tortoise's visit to KL was the SM Entertainment audition. Yes, I auditioned to be part of SM, creator of 東方神起, BoA, Kangta, Shinhwa, S.E.S and all those Korean superstars.

I was number 94, but was the 20th person to audition cos my application was messed up. They were suppose to line me up with the group of people who applied online but instead they put me with those who walked in. Thankfully, this kind 누나 let me join the first 20. We went in the room and had to line up in groups of 10 at a time, introduce ourselves and sing something. Everyone had to sing something. If you were auditioning to be a singer, then you'd have to sing longer, if not then you can sing a phrase. If you were auditioning to be a model, after singing, you have to take 3 steps to the front and strike 3 poses. No one auditioned for acting so I dunno what's the auditioning process for that. Those auditioning for dancing will get to dance after all 10 have introduced themselves, sung and get this... dance to a song provided by the organisers. It was a shock at first, to see 10 ppl dancing like mad. But the first 10 people were damned aggressive. Lots of them were vying for the spot which was front and center. In my group of 10, the people were a bit shy, so I had to take the chance to move forward.

To sum up the performances of those I auditioned with, some had the skill, but not the looks. Some didn't have both. Some had the package, particularly this cute and small girl. The judges seemed to pay lots of attention at her. They even ask her to come forward and push back her hair so that they can see her better. Do you think that's a sign that they may shortlist her? She sings fine and dances like Beyoncé. I have a feeling she will be chosen. Furthermore, she spoke a teensy bit of Korean. I think they may love her... Those who were auditioning to be models didn't do very well in my opinion. They did not strike 3 different poses. They were like... hand on right hip, look left... hand on left hip, look right... one cute and confused pose. To think one of them once participated in a bridal fair.

As for me, I have lots of regrets regarding my performance. I introduced myself fine, but I think I lacked conviction. I think I sang well. I chose Lately by Stevie Wonder and sang from the 2nd verse right up to the chorus. When I stopped, one of the judges said that it was his favourite song. Bingo! ;) But I sort of regret I didn't ask if I could sing a Korean song. Then I may have impressed them further. Although I did not write it when filling up the application at the audition (though I did online), I said I was there to audition for Dance and Modelling. That way, I think I'd get more "air time". I think I struck 3 different and strong poses. In the words of the great Tyra Banks, you have to be like "Bam!... Bam!... Bam!". Firm and strong poses. When it came to dancing, there was a screw up again. Apparently the girl at the registration counter didn't know I was in the first group, so she did not pass my CD to the fella manning the radio. There was a moment of confusion, me trying to explain what happened to the judges and the judges thinking that I'd left my CD outside and finally ending with the judges requesting that I dance to their song, which I a little grudgingly agreed to (Note: Not the right attitude for an audition). Just when I agreed, I suddenly sighted KangTa & Vanness' album, Scandal, on the judging table. Coincidence being that I had intended to dance to Good Vibration, from their album. The judges seemed pretty happy that this was my song choice. When I dance, and thank god it was quite smooth, the judges seemed entertained.

So what are my chances of going to Korea to become a superstar? We'll know in 3 weeks when they notify those who are chosen. Let's hope there isn't a 2nd audition, but to be safe, I am preparing for it. Even if I get chosen, maybe I'll end up a backup dancer for BoA or Dana... Boo hoo hoo... But still, if I get chosen, I finally get to do something I've always wanted to do in my life and believe me, I will be working my way to the top.

Thanks a lot to Kat, Elaine and Koon who were there with me at the audition. Your support meant a lot to me. If I do get to be a Korean superstar, you'll be able to brag about me, isn't that great? Hehe! To my baby sister, thank you for calling and telling me that I can do it. After this audition, I really felt that I can do it. If I do fail this time, SM Entertainment, you will be seeing me at your next audition call.

Most of all, thank you to Geoffrey. You piss me off, you make me cry, you frustrate me but you are still the best boyfriend in the world because you love me, take care of me, support me and believe in my abilites. I love you...

No comments: